Passports and Visas

Visitors from almost all nationalities should obtain a passport which is valid for more than 6 months before visiting Egypt

A touristic visa should be obtained by most nationalities before entering Egypt. This can be done through any Egyptian embassy or consulate around the world. It can even be obtained upon arrival at the many international airports of Egypt like Cairo, Luxor, and Sharm El Sheikh international airports.

General and tourists visas cannot be obtained at the borders land crossings at Rafah, Taba, or Saloum, nor at any international ports of Egypt like those of Alexandria, Port Said, and Safaga.

Visas can be obtained from the ports of Sharm El Sheikh and Nuweiba but they only last for two weeks and only allow the permits the visitors to certain sections of the Sinai Peninsula.

Customs and Taxes

Visitors are also allowed to get 1 litre of alcohol and 200 cigarettes which they purchased from other countries when they visit Egypt.

It would be common, at certain times and in specific incidents that individual officers, at the entrances of Egypt, would inform you of some other regulations.

For those travellers who prefer to have their own supply of chiggers and alcohol, buying them from the free duty shops in the Cairo and Luxor airports would be the best thing to do.

Visitors can buy up to four litres of alcohol, or 3 Litres of alcohol and a case of beers.

This besides the number of 200 cigarettes from the duty-free shops in Egypt.

Other than international airports, the duty-free shop in Egypt has some outlets in certain places in Cairo, Luxor, and Hurghada. However, the visitor should bring his passport with him.

If travellers bring cameras, VCRs, computers, or laptops, they must declare this upon their entrance.